First Click: When new tech is just too embarrassing to use

Early adopters, aka "nerds," are drawn to the latest cutting edge gadgets, software, and services like a young Nilay Patel is to studded bracelets. But early adoption is rife with negative consequences, one of which is public embarrassment.

I was reminded of this over the weekend when I saw the newest ad for the Google Pixel phone, this time from Verizon. Check it out below:

Two things stood out for me. First the guy says "Ok Google" a little too smugly, as if he had just spent the previous few minutes off-camera trying to convince his iPhone-using friends how great the Google Assistant is. Then the woman dons a Daydream View VR headset unapologetically on a train full of strangers. I’m not saying I wouldn’t do the same. I would. But...

Continue reading…



via The Verge
Back To Top